The Housing Authority of the City of Austin (HACA) extends the benefits of Girl Scouting to girls from low income and low resource backgrounds in order to help them reach their full potential by enhancing Leadership, Anti-Bullying skills, and Girl Scout Ways in a caring, supportive environment. Girls have the opportunity to participate in the annual Cookie Program, council wide program events, annual campouts, and special programming based upon their age level.
How the Program Works: HACA serves and average of 80 girls (ten girls per site) from ages 5-16. The troop meets once a week for one hour all year around. GSCTX currently provides Girl Scouting at the following eight HACA sites: Booker T. Washington, Georgian Manor, Manchaca Village, Santa Rita, Shadow Bend, North Gate, Rosewood, and Coronado Hills. The girls will participate in proven Girl Scout activities designed to be girl led encouraging experiential and cooperative learning in a supportive single gender environment.
- Working directly with a Pathways Community Based Coordinator; the intern will assist in the planning and implementation of activities with the girls.
- Must be able to work at least 10 hours a week. There will be weeks where hours will be extended due to day camps, weekend field trips, and counsel events.
- The troop meetings are Monday thru Thursday From 3pm to 7pm. Office Hours are 9am to 6pm Tuesday through Thursday, 9am to 3pm on Fridays, Closed Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. The Intern must be able to attend at least 4 of the 8 troop meetings a week.
- Will assist in writing curriculum for the girls as well as planning activities, day camps, cookie sales booths, and other activities assigned.
- Assist with Registration process of new girls.
- Help maintain accurate records of program site activities.
- Must be enrolled in an accredited 4 year university. Social Work, Sociology, Psychology, Education, and Family and Child Development majors preferred but not required.
- Possess excellent computer, customer service, time management and organizational skills.
- Ability to handle multiple tasks at the same time.
- Ability to relate well with people from a variety of economic and ethnic backgrounds.
- Problem Solving and conflict resolution skills.
- Effective Communication skills. (Oral and Written)
- Good Reliable Transportation.
- Become a member of GSUSA.
- Must show interest in working with kids.
- Frequent sitting, standing, Walking, bending and twisting the upper body.
- Capable of lifting 30 lbs.
- Some outdoor activities and exposure to weather.
Other Working Conditions:
- A criminal background check is required
- Ability to work well with others.
- Ability to work independently with some supervision.
Amanda Sargent (HACA Coordinator) 512-490-2361 Amandas@gsctx.org