Communications Intern – Spring 2017
who WE are
- We’re The SAFE Alliance, an alliance of Austin Children’s Shelter and SafePlace.
- We’re a registered, 501(c)3 nonprofit organization, spanning two beautiful campuses on several acres in beautiful Austin, Texas.
- We’re a diverse, passionate group of more than 335 staff with a vision of a just and safe community, free from violence and abuse, and a mission to lead in ending sexual assault and exploitation, child abuse and domestic violence through prevention, intervention, and advocacy for change.
- We’re an Austin-American Statesman’s “Top Workplace” Winner for 2015.
who YOU are
- You’re a strong believer that all people should have lives that are free from violence and abuse.
- You’re someone who cares about positive client and customer relations. You build strong relationships, and you deliver effective client and customer-centric solutions.
- You’ve are impeccable decision maker. Your decisions are timely, and they’ll help the organization move forward.
- You value differences, recognizing that different perspectives and cultural diversity make the world a better place to be.
- Your interpersonal skills are on point. You easily relate openly and comfortably with very diverse groups of people.
- You’re resilient, rebounding from setbacks and adversity with both poise and ease.
- You’re resourceful. You know how to secure and deploy resources both effectively and efficiently.
- You’re trustworthy. You gain confidence and the trust of others through integrity and forthright honesty.
what WE need YOU to do for us
We need you to fill the role of Communications Intern. This is a part time, unpaid internship, position. You’ll wow us by masterfully performing the following key duties and responsibilities:
- Help develop and implement communications strategies to fulfill the individual needs of each agency, program and/or department.
- Assist the Communications Coordinator in furthering the mission of SAFE through the implementation of print and digital communications strategies.
- Collaborate with the rest of the Communications department on larger agency-wide projects and help ensure each project is finished in a timely manner.
- Assisting with the daily administrative functions of the Communications department:
- Tracking press hits;
- Tracking social media campaigns;
- Updating outdated contacts in press list (when appropriate);
- Assisting with press call downs (when appropriate);
- Researching and proposing agencies to engage with via social media; and
- Pulling and storing client success stories, etc.
to be successful in this role, WE’LL need YOU to
- A clear path to a degree in Journalism, Marketing, Public Relations, or related field.
- Excellent copywriting and editing skills (samples not required but highly suggested).
- Proven project management and organizational skills.
- Good personal and professional judgement.
- Proficiency in Microsoft Excel and full office suite.
- Resourceful and outside-the-box thinking.
- Thorough knowledge of social media platforms.
- Positive attitude and strong client service mentality.
- Strong eye for detail and creative design.
- Ability to work with a variety of personalities in a collaborative manner/
- Prior experience in community volunteerism or nonprofit work.
- Experience with social media management platforms (HooteSuite, TweetDeck or other).
- Spanish language skills.
- Pass all required criminal history background checks (including an FBI fingerprint check), as well as submit to a pre-employment drug screen and TB test.
- Adhere to our Guiding Principles, Mission, Core Competencies and Confidentiality Policy.
how WE’LL make it worth YOUR while
- We’ll provide you with an amazing work environment where you’ll get to make a difference every day.
Apply online at http://jobs.safeaustin.org/apply/X1IPoI/Communications-Intern?source=501community