Social Media Intern, Criminal Justice Project
ABOUT OUR ORGANIZATION
Texas Appleseed is a nonpartisan, nonprofit policy and advocacy organization. As one of the most trusted resources for data-driven policy analysis and solutions, Texas Appleseed advocates at the state and local level for fair, just, and equitable laws. Our work has shaped hundreds of laws and positively affected millions of Texans by breaking down barriers through transformative policy solutions. For more information, visit www.texasappleseed.org.
Working with a small team and under the supervision of the Criminal Justice Social Media Strategist, the Criminal Justice Social Media Intern, will work with the project team to help create toolkits, generate content for websites, and assist in the rollout of media content in the works.
ROLES & RESPONSIBILITIES
- Assist with the design and execution of social media campaigns
- Create and distribute content such as blogs, infographics, videos and press releases on social media and traditional news outlets
- Track social media engagement to identify high-performing ideas
- Support team at live and online events
- Perform social media marketing research
- Brainstorm and research ideas for original content
- Create compelling graphics to share across social channels
- Write social media captions that speak to the nonprofit’s target audience
- Help create and edit short-form videos
- Develop new strategies for increasing engagement
- Assist with photo/video content shoots
- A Bachelor’s degree in humanities, especially communications-related field such as advertising or journalism, or are currently pursuing their Bachelor’s degree and are in their third or fourth year of their program
- Strong oral and written communication skills
- Excellent internet research skills
- Skilled in the social media platforms including Facebook, Instagram, X (formerly known as Twitter), LinkedIn, and YouTube
- Knowledge of social media analytics software including Facebook Insights, Google Analytics and Twitter Analytics to track audience engagement and campaign performance
- Experience with content management systems, word processor applications and image/video editing software
2+ years’ experience in digital marketing/social media marketing
The social media intern will report directly to the Criminal Justice Social Media Strategist. This position is a hybrid position (part remote, part in person) based out of Austin, TX. Undergraduate internships at Texas Appleseed pay $15hr, and require at least 10 to 15 hours per week. This is a spring internship, with potential for renewal in the summer and fall.
Texas Appleseed is an equal opportunity employer and is committed to providing a workplace free from harassment and discrimination. We celebrate the unique differences of our employees because that is what drives curiosity, innovation, and the success of our organization. We do not discriminate on the basis of race, religion, color, national origin, gender, sexual orientation, gender identity or expression, age, marital status, veteran status, disability status, pregnancy, parental status, genetic information, political affiliation, or any other status protected by the laws.
HOW TO APPLY
Please email your resumé, a campaign or social media account you think is successful with 2-5 sentences on why, and two original social media posts with captions that focus on the need for criminal justice reform to email@example.com. Please include the position title, “Criminal Justice Social Media Intern” in the subject line. Applications should be submitted no later than November 13, 2023.