Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty seeks Spring 2017 Advocacy Intern
The Texas Coalition to Abolish the Death Penalty (TCADP) is the only professionally staffed, statewide grassroots advocacy organization dedicated solely to ending the death penalty in Texas. We seek to shift the political climate on the issue and decrease use of the death penalty in Texas. Our approach includes strategic communications, engagement of “unusual voices,” public education and outreach, and support of litigation strategies.
TCADP’s Spring 2017 Advocacy Intern will assist with legislative research, community outreach and public education programs, strategic communications, and administrative support. They will interact with the Executive Director and Communications Coordinator, as well as other volunteers, TCADP Board Members, and community partners.
• Support public education and outreach programs, including events featuring death row
exonorees and other individuals with personal experience with the Texas death penalty
• Research and writing assignments related to TCADP’s blog and monthly newsletter
• Assistance with the 85th Texas Legislature, including monitoring bills, supporting
TCADP’s Lobby Corps members, and preparing for Faith Leader Advocacy Day on the
Death Penalty at the State Capitol
• Development of educational materials for print and/or online publication
• Logistical support for the TCADP 2017 Annual Conference, which will take place on
February 18, 2017 in Austin
• Administrative support, including data entry, resource inventory, and social media
• Exceptional communication and writing skills (ability to speak and write Spanish is a
• Experience with grassroots/student organizing and community outreach
• Experience with online communication/social networking tools (Facebook, blogs,
Twitter, Instagram, etc.)
• Proven ability to work independently
• Interest in working with a non-profit advocacy organization
• Personal commitment to the abolition of the death penalty
All work will be performed in our South Austin office and will be supervised by TCADP’s
Executive Director and Communications Coordinator. This is an unpaid position requiring a minimum commitment of 10 hours/week.
To apply, send a cover letter, résumé, and short writing sample (1-2 pages) to TCADP Executive
Director Kristin Houlé at email@example.com.
For more information about TCADP, visit www.tcadp.org.
Applications will be accepted until the position is filled.