With world attention focused on both the environment and the economy, Environmental Defense Fund (EDF) is where policymakers and business leaders turn for win-win solutions. This leading green group, with programs from Boston to Beijing, has tripled in size over the past decade by focusing on strong science, uncommon partnerships and market-based approaches. You can be part of a vibrant workplace that welcomes diverse perspectives, talents and contributions, where innovation and a focus on results are a way of life.
EDF is seeking an US Climate and Energy Communications Intern. Interested applicants should have knowledge of communications writing and research. A basic knowledge of government and environmental – specifically clean energy – issues is preferred.
The intern will be responsible for supporting communications staff in EDF’s US Climate and Energy Program. This work will include supporting traditional and social media efforts, developing media lists, outreach to media, conducting background research on policy issues and other tasks related to the US Climate and Energy Program’s communications goals.
- Specific duties may include, but are not limited to:
- Assisting in generating, tracking and posting to the Energy
- Exchange blog and @EDFEnergyEX Twitter handle
- Writing content for newsletters, collateral materials, reports and other materials as needed
- Monitoring traditional and non-traditional media outlets for coverage and opportunities
- Assisting with basic photo editing, video review and collateral design
- Coordinating and executing special projects, as assigned
- Conducting policy research
- Strong writing skills required
- Must be well-organized, self-motivated, detail-oriented and proficient in the use of standard office equipment and computer software (such as MS Office applications)
- Thorough knowledge of new media including Twitter, Facebook, YouTube and blogging (Word Press)
- Ability to stay organized, meet deadlines and maintain a pro-active attitude
- Basic video and photo editing skills and desire to learn new software (preferred)
- Graduate student in communications or business (preferred)
EDF Austin Office
12 weeks from October 21, 2013 – January 10, 2014 (dates are negotiable)
This internship is full-time (35 hours per week)
The compensation is $12 per hour. Additionally, EDF is happy to support any academic credit available to candidates. Interns have access to networking opportunities with EDF experts, national staff and partner organizations during the term of their internship.
Interested applicants should attach their cover letter and resume to the EDF application.
Due to the volume of employment applications and queries received, EDF is unable to respond to each application individually. Applicants will be contacted directly if selected as a candidate.
Environmental Defense Fund is an Equal Opportunity Employer