Employer: UT Resource Recovery
Position Title: Resource Recovery Surplus Reuse Store Team Member
Supervisor’s Name: Lindsey Hutchison, Zero Waste Coordinator. Please submit a cover letter and resume to apply. Lindsey.Hutchison@austin.utexas.edu
Resource Recovery is a department within UT Facilities Services which encompasses both Zero Waste and Surplus Properties. Resource Recovery is tasked with improving sustainability at UT, specifically with regards to reaching our 2020 Zero Waste goal to divert 90% of all materials from the landfill.
We are looking for a Reuse Store Team Member. This position will be based at the Pickle Research Campus (10100 Burnet Road), accessible by CapMetro bus (wifi, free with UT ID). This project supports Surplus Property in selling no longer used materials to the general public through a retail store. Students lead preparation of sales items for the store as well as store operation. We are excited to start weekly store operations beginning in February – anticipated to be Thursdays, 3—7pm. Applicants are not required to be available at those times, but it is preferred.
Additionally, you would be a member of Resource Recovery’s student internship program. All of our student interns meet weekly as a team to share and learn and create synergy across our work. Team Members are not expected to have any sustainability background – only interest in learning!
Responsibilities and learning objectives of the Reuse Store Team Member include but are not limited to:
- Organization and attention to detail to prepare for store sales events
- Communication and marketing postings to encourage store attendance
- Professional customer-service that represents UT and the department well
- Data collection and analysis
- Interest in retail sales, design, or business management preferred
- Ability to maintain professionalism and represent the department well when communicating with faculty and staff
- Capacity to work well with a team as well as independently
- Self-starter who is detail-oriented, organized, and adaptable
- Ability to work both independently and accurately with little supervision
- Strong verbal and written communication skills
- Ability to transport to Pickle Research Campus in north central Austin
Work Days and Times:
- 2018 Spring semester
- 10 hours per week, set weekly schedule, recurring meeting times established by team.