UT-Austin’s Resource Recovery program is seeking a student who is interested in learning more about sustainability, recycling, and zero waste, to join their Waste Audit team for the spring 2018 semester. Waste Audits consist of physically touching and observing trash and recycling to sort each building’s entire day’s worth of materials and personal protective equipment will be provided. As a member of the Waste Audit team, applicants will work closely with several campus entities, including Resource Recovery and Recycling & Solid Waste, to pursue the campus-wide goal of being 90% zero waste by the year 2020. Applicants will gain hands-on experience in the field with a team of like-minded students, explore the everyday functions of recycling and solid waste, and learn about various ways UT-Austin is working toward making campus a more sustainable place. Applicants will become very experienced in correct sorting of materials during weekly audits.
In addition to the Waste Audit Project Team, you would be a member of Resource Recovery’s student internship program. All of our student interns meet weekly as a team to share and learn and create synergy across our work. Additional team activities include but are not limited to outreach during Earth Week.
Responsibilities and learning objectives of the Waste Audit team member include but are not limited to:
- Collaborating closely with fellow students and staff to maintain a cooperative team structure
- Exploring the avenues through which UT-Austin can seek to improve the diversion of campus waste from landfills
- Working with a team of students with similar interests to benefit zero waste initiatives
- Supporting the various projects, ideas, and initiatives of the Resource Recovery team
- Ability to maintain professionalism and represent the department well when communicating with faculty and staff
- Willingness to learn about the inner workings of recycling and solid waste
- Comfort physically touching and observing trash and recycling
- Ability to work in an outdoor environment and variety of weather conditions, potentially around bees
- Ability to lift 50 lbs.
- Capacity to work well with a team as well as independently
- Detail-oriented, organized, and adaptable
- Ability to work both independently and accurately with little supervision
- Ability to ride a bike is preferred, in order to assist with transport of audit supplies
Work Days and Times:
- 10 hours per week with weekly schedule and recurring meeting times established by team. Will be worked around class schedule.